Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gamers Making ALL Gamers Look Bad

This is my first post here on my blog. I wanted it to be something that has been pressing on my heart lately, so here goes:

I wanted to talk about the blatant disrespect that the majority of gamers over Xbox Live dish out on a game by game basis. I am hard pressed to find a game in Call of Duty 4 where I am surrounded by decent people that don't have to disrespect me or any other in the room. It seems that no matter what style of play you do, you are called a fa**** or some other expletive. Whether you use the M16, .50 cal, M4, camp in a building, whatever, you are going to tick someone off and they will oh most certainly let you know their feelings.

Granted, I understand that you are in 'the heat of battle,' and the competitive juices are flowing, I am there too (Which I am usually upset when I have the sniper cross hairs on the guy, shoot him, and it doesn't hit him, WHERES THAT PATCH IW!!?) but is it necessary to call someone whom is completely undeserving a completely ignorant and vile name? It is people like this that have an 'I don't care attitude' and are running around on Xbox Live being as prideful as can be that are ruining this community that I have watched grow since the beta testing days of October 2002.

I have worked too hard for too long in helping grow Xbox live to sit back and watch these mongrels come on and play 2 times a week only to make it a point to ruin someones day.

I say we start making it an absolute top-of-the-list point to report these jerks immediately. File a complaint, submit a player review, and then send Major Nelson an email at Major@Xbox.com because he forwards those emails to the correct place. Then send the gamertag 'Stepto' a TEXT message over Live with the bad guy's gamertag. 'Stepto' is Stephen Toulouse, the Xbox Live Policy Manager. He is the guy that is over the team of Xbox enforcers that read all of the complaints filed on Xbox Live. Folks, this is the way we gain our community back. We cannot just sit back and hope they go away. You have to MAKE change, not hope it happens on its or hope others will do it.

You must think about the new members joining Xbox Live as well. If they get on a game of Halo 3, Gears of War, or Call of Duty 4 only to hear the most vile, putrid, and disgusting language, why would they want to continue playing? If I were new and hadn't been on Xbox Live since before its launch, and didn't know that there are alternatives to playing with people like that, I wouldn't continue my yearly subscription.
This stuff also makes gamers look bad to the mainstream public. When they hear things on the news, it is never the good stuff. Only the bad. I have never heard on the news, 'Well, today Microsoft has reported over 10 million subscribers to their online Xbox LIVE service.' You only hear about when a stalking, bullying, or murder happens and a video game was somehow involved.

I hope this all registers in your cranium my friends. I don't want the community I love so much to go down the drain due to a bunch of ignorant, comfortable-in-their-anonymous-state-with-controller-in-hands idiots.

Think before you act when playing on LIVE or even on the playstation network. Gamers are gamers, no matter the platform.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I have been having this kind of problems since I got my 360 in Dec. I joined LIVE about a month ago and whenever I play Halo, Gears, Call of Duty or even Burnout I get called names, made fun of me gamertag. People would just talk for no reason blabbering mom jokes and it's so disappointing from people to know this happens al the time. And as you say, reporting this is the only way we can get this people to behave.

Anonymous said...

While I would agree with the statement that many players are over the top, and rude - I am not sure emailing Major Nelson, let alone emailing anyone will solve the problem. The only thing that will solve it is simply ignoring these players - if they are acting up, ignore then, unplug your mic, avoid playing games with them, and just pretty much validating their conduct and behavior. With 10 million gamers, your bound to find every type of human out there on Xbox Live, its a sad reality. How do I cope with it? Simply by playing with the people on my friends list, where you can't even hear the enemies and opposition on the other team.

- DaKing240

Anonymous said...

Here's How to Ruin Xbox Live for Everyone Else. Sums things up.

Pengwenn said...

Try being a girl and playing on Xbox Live. For every one guy who thinks it's cool when a girl plays a video game they'll be 20 others that think any girl playing is fair game. Thankfully I've found a bunch of great guys to play with so at least most of my team is not going to give me a hard time.

Anonymous said...

the best thing i find is just muting those users on the list and trying to participate with the normal people or just get in private chat with a mate and talk tactics so much better